Sunday, April 11, 2010

Book Cover Design for Illustrating Literature


An Imperial Message- Project A


While reading Franz Kafka’s The Imperial Message I was intrigued by the chaos and the idea of literal inability to communicate a message. Reading the story gave me a clear visual of a person trying to move through an impossible space. While this story, clearly about an emperor, kingdoms and class is one that can transcend time. At first, I imagined that this story takes place in contemporary times, but then also realized the essentials of the story (trying to connect with the public but not being able, moving through a space that seems impossible, trying to get through to people not of your “class”) are universal ideas that transcend time. So with my illustration I aimed to have an image that wouldn’t portray specific a time or place but portray the idea of the impossible space and the hopeless journey between the classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment